If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

16 June 2010

Odes For Dad (Haiku) and Poetry Awards


A SWIMMING LESSON FROM DAD

when i was a child
my dad taught me how to swim
a lesson well taught

little did i know
that my dad's drills at the beach
equipped me for life

for this long journey
sometimes forced me to confront
angry waves at sea

swim i did through life
through rough seas and calm waters
dad was there waiting

"well done," he would say
at the end of each channel
beaming with great pride





A MAN OF GREAT FAITH... 
THAT'S MY DAD

a few years ago
when his life hung on thin thread
he fought to survive

he opened his eyes
then started making fun of
his disheveled look

we held back our tears
his laughter was contagious
so we laughed with him

he suffered a stroke
yet grateful his life was spared...
amazing fervor

life's ironic twist
did not dampen his spirit
his strong faith prevailed

he may have slowed down
but his zest for life stayed on...
my inspiration

until now he beams
like sunlight spreading love's warmth...
eternally bright


Papa, I hope you know how much we all love you. You are the best dad in the world! Thank you so much for being a beacon of light in my darkest moments. Without you, I wouldn't have found the courage to stand up again.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!


a recognition from jingle
is every poet's delight
a note or comment from her
fills our hearts with joy
much more when she says
she has an award for us

 I am so honored and grateful to receive the above Perfect Poet Award as well as these other beautiful awards from Jingle for my participation in her Thursday Poets' Rally Week 22. Please accept my utmost appreciation and allow me to nominate a great father-poet, Brian of WaystationOne, for the next perfect poet award.


 The Most Trustworthy Poet Award

The Most Respectful Poet Award

The Most Romantic Poet Award

The Elegant Blogger Award

The Perfect Beauty Award

Your Blog Rocks Award

Friendship Tag




Welcome to Sensational Haiku Wednesday hosted by Jenn of You Know... that Blog?
This week's theme is: Fathers

The basics:
Haiku is simple! 
It is 3 non-rhyming lines of 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively 
(a great way to use your fingers!)

It's our haiku-versary next week...
Next week's theme is: Challenge

So what are you waiting for? Come and join us at:

Join the fun!

This post is also for
Thursday Poets Rally 
Week 23
which is hosted by Jingle




Stumble Upon Toolbar

62 POINTS OF VIEW:

LarryG June 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

I am sure the "well done" will always resonate!

jingle June 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

awesome job...
I will post Rally information after I came back from my son's tennis lesson...
relax...
see you later.

Sandee June 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

What a wonderful tribute to your father. I really liked it.

Congratulations on all the beautiful awards too.

Have a terrific day. Big hug. :)

Bing Yap June 16, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

larry, you're right it will always resonate. he is still as sweet and wonderful as he was before his stroke that's why we feel so blessed that he survived that. he is an amazing man!

Bing Yap June 16, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

jingle, did i post ahead of schedule? lol! you can't blame me for my enthusiasm. :D

Bing Yap June 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

sandee dearie, i'm glad you like it. he truly deserves a tribute. thanks for the visit. blessings to you!

Unknown June 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful I think these are. Your loving relationship with your father shines through your words. You are blessed indeed.

jingle June 17, 2010 at 2:43 AM  

Thank you for the cute poem written for me,
lovely writing for your precious Dad...
U Rock!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? June 17, 2010 at 5:16 AM  

So beautiful!! I echo his "well done", and I love that you have put his words and lessons into such lovely haiku.

Magical Mystical Teacher June 17, 2010 at 5:45 AM  

You've given a really wonderful tribute to your dad!

Fathers

Emmanuel Ibok June 17, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

Great tribute.

Jillien June 17, 2010 at 7:17 AM  

Your second poem brought tears to my eyes..

You are an amazing writer with an amazing father.

JM

Anonymous June 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

Beautiful tributes to your Dad.... congrats on awards also, Happy Rally.....bkm

Anonymous June 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

Beautiful tributes to your Dad.... congrats on awards also, Happy Rally.....bkm

Ria June 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

That is a great tribute to your dad, he sounds like an amazing person!

Brian Miller June 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

what a great tribute to your dad...i loved the first one as that is our role to equip those that come behind us or walk with us...

Anonymous June 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

well chosen words- cheers!

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

5th sister, my siblings and i are truly proud of him and we feel so blessed to have him as our dad. thanks for the nice comment. =)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

jngle, i can't thank you enough for the awards you gave me. that poem conveyed how much your support means to me and to all your poet-friends. =)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

jenn, thanks for choosing this prompt. it gave us the opportunity to give tribute to all the great dads out there. =)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

magical mystical teacher, thanks for your appreciation. =)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

emmanuel, i'm glad that you like it. :)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

jillien, believe me, he is really amazing! his strength and wisdom still guide and inspire me until now. thanks for dropping by. :)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

bkm, thanks for dropping by and for appreciating my post. :)

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

ria, he is my hero =) thanks for visiting.

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

brian, i believe you are a great dad yourself. =) thanks for the nice comment.

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

cheers, fiveloaf! =) thanks

SuziCate June 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

A most beautiful tribute to your father.

Bing Yap June 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

hi suzi, thank you. that's because he is the best! =)

Ray June 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

I lost my father 3 years ago. And I am a father of three. Thanks for your lovely poems, very well crafted and sincere.

Anonymous June 17, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

I love the poem about the swimming lesson. Every little thing comes back to you when you need it most.

Anonymous June 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

Lovely and moving poems. Really show your feelings for your dad.

Anonymous June 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

through teary eyes I type one word..Beautiful!

RA June 18, 2010 at 5:32 AM  

Beautiful, warm haikus. Your father sounds like a great man, and I can see that you love him very much. Congrats on the award. Have a wonderful day.

Bing Yap June 18, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

ray, i'm sorry for your loss. i guess one will never really get over losing a parent. whatever lessons you got from your dad, you can pass them on now to your 3 kids.

thanks for visiting. =)

Bing Yap June 18, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

lovetheloop, for so many years, we spent our sundays at the beach where my dad would do his regular laps for an hour or so. the best memories of my childhood!=) thanks for appreciating my post.

Bing Yap June 18, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

jessica, thanks. until now, i get my strength from him. :)

Bing Yap June 18, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

sound of freedom, i'm glad that you like the poems for my dad. my heartfelt thanks to you. =)

Bing Yap June 18, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

rosidah, for me he is the best that's why i love him so much. thanks for appreciating.

nelly June 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

Happy Fathers Day. <3

morganna June 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

A fantastic tribute to your dad. Thank you for sharing.

Mark Stevensson June 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Your poems are beautiful. The love and warmth shown through them is inspiring. Great work :)

Anonymous June 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

I love your style, and your words/thoughts are touching to a father of a wonderful daughter. Thanks.
Just Say'n

Unknown June 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

wow your work is wonderful! thanks for sharing ...

here from Jingle's

hope you have time to stop by my spot!

http://wp.me/p6cGB-5O

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall June 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/the-perfect-poet-award-4-thursday-poets-rally-week-23/

week 23 perfect poet award,
enjoy!

Happy Weekend,
I have enjoyed your company very much!

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

thanks nelly... happy father's day! =)

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

morganna, thanks for visiting! :)

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:47 AM  

mark, i'm glad that you like them. thanks for dropping by. =)

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:48 AM  

tracy, thanks for the heartwarming comment.

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

hi peach pit, i'm headed to to your site now. thanks for dropping by.

Bing Yap June 20, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

hi jingle, now this is the kind of comment i was talking about. =) thanks for the nomination and for dropping by again.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall June 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

thank you for stopping by,
please feel free to take all 5 awards from my post...

I must apologize for my weakness.

idon June 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Anonymous June 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

Such a wonderful tribute....touched my heart.
:)

Anonymous June 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

Such a wonderful tribute....touched my heart.
:)

Lee June 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

Hello Bing, beautiful posting and heartwarming.
A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.

It is with regret I read your header about your great loss of your husband. I am sorry.
Life sometimes can be unkind to us, and makes us wonder, 'why, why'.....I guess only God will know the answer.

We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.

You have a pleasant week and keep a song in your heart, best regards, Lee.

Wenny June 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

What a warm and beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Btw, congrats on the award.

Bing Yap June 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM  

jingle, thanks for all the awards. i really appreciate them.

Bing Yap June 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM  

idon, i hope you enjoyed your fathers day celebration!

Bing Yap June 21, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

buttercup, i'm glad you like it =)

Bing Yap June 21, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

uncle lee, that is so beautiful!

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness."


that is exactly what i tell my friends but you said it beautifully here. you get to appreciate a full cup only when you have experienced emptiness.

it was only when i learned to forgive that i was able to move on. it was also then that i was able to fully appreciate the value of life.

thanks for the very inspiring comment. =)

Bing Yap June 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

wenny, it is really nice to see you here again. the positive posts in your blog never fail to inspire me. i am glad that you like this post of mine. :)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter