If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

04 December 2009

His Bike Is His Passion


When my son first asked my permission to join the Bike for Peace, I said NO. He did mention that it was going to cover the distance of 30 kilometers and that immediately sent my heart racing. My only question was, "are you going to use the highway?" He answered "yes" so I said "no!" mltan100.blogspot.com

When I asked that question, his initial reaction was something like "duh!" Lol! It was a stupid question after all and he knew where it was leading to. He eventually shrugged his shoulder and retreated to his room. mltan100.blogspot.com

Feeling guilty about it, I summoned him back and asked realistic (albeit more appropriate) questions like who he was biking with, what time would he leave and what time would I expect him back. His answers didn't make sense to me but at that point, I only needed a basis to reconsider my first decision. I knew how important his biking is to him and this was his first time to join a group of serious bikers.

So on November 30 (Monday, a holiday here), he left our house at 6:00 a.m. which is his usual time to go biking on weekends and holidays. As the hours passed, I had to fight the urge to send him sms asking where he was. Do you have any idea how hard it was to stop myself from worrying that morning?

I was so relieved to see him home before noon.mltan100.blogspot.com

Before I could speak though, he proudly showed me his certificate. As I read it, I couldn't help but beam with pride.

"The bearer has proven endurance for the cause of harmony, peace and progress in our country."

It finally made sense to me. He did mention "Bike for Peace" when he asked permission but I guess I wasn't really listening. Neither did I equate or associate it with the cause that everyone here is clamoring and fighting for now. After all, he is just a 15-year-old kid.

But even 15 year olds have their own opinion. The children have seen on the news how almost 60 people have been brutally killed. My own son believes that justice has been denied to us when his father met his untimely end almost 5 years ago. This has got to stop, he said. What better way to express it than joining an activity closest to his heart! I guess this is his own little way of helping, not us, but those whose lives (and families) stand to be spared if the injustice around us finally stops.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 POINTS OF VIEW:

Anonymous December 5, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

My dear sweet Bing...Don't be mad at me but I've got to say this...You are such a mother!!! LOL. I'm glad you finally came to your senses and went back and talked to him. Part of communication is listening as well my friend. I know you know that and by all means I have no clue what you have been through emotionally the last five years and I see that Lion's protection coming out in you with this. It must be so hard but I'm glad you relented and how proud you must be. I admire you son for doing this and in his own way getting a piece of justices done for his father. I bet he's not anywhere near done with this yet. Very inspiring post my friend. :) xoxoxo

Wenny December 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Hi Bing, it is just natural for us mothers to behave like that. I worry about my son too whenever he leaves the house, even now when he's already 18 and into college.

We just need to learn to open our mind that our baby is now grown up and to set them free to experience the reality of life.

Your son has definitely proven his maturity. Being proud is just not enough to describe, definitely you know you can TRUST him.

Best wishes.

Bing Yap December 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

THOM why is it so hard to be a mom and be cool at the same time? call it paranoia but... i just can't help it! it's so difficult to let go. i have to remind myself over and over again that he is a big kid now. see, big but still a kid to me.

you are right... i am such a mother!!! lol!!!

Bing Yap December 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

WENNY i have no doubt that i can trust him. sometimes though i just don't want to be too complacent. i am so proud of him.

you said it right. my baby is no longer a baby. i should learn to let go. :)

cheryl December 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

visiting you here with this lovely smile :)

Bing Yap December 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

thank you CHERYL... i really appreciate your lovely smile :)

Anonymous December 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM  

Trust me...my mom still thinks I'm her kid LOL...You'll never get over it and believe me that's a good thing. My mom is my best friend and sooner or later your will be your sons as well. It takes time to not see your mom as your mom :)

Bing Yap December 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

you are actually right, THOM.. our family's tragic experience led me to become more paranoid and overprotective of my kids. on the other hand, the same experience made my son grow up faster (emotionally, psychologically)and act more like a man now than just a 15-year-old kid. luckily for me, he listens. take note, he is the one who listens. LOL

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter