If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

13 April 2010

Of Gratitude and Happiness...

THE PARK BENCH
Poet Unknown
 
Beneath the long, straggly branches of an old willow tree.
Disillusioned by life with good reason to frown,
For the world was intent on dragging me down.
And if that weren't enough to ruin my day,
A young boy out of breath approached me, all tired from play.
He stood right before me with his head tilted down
And said with great excitement, "Look what I found!"

In his hand was a flower, and what a pitiful sight,
With its petals all worn - not enough rain, or too little light.
Wanting him to take his dead flower and go off to play,
I faked a smile and then shifted away.
But instead of retreating he sat next to my side
And placed the flower to his nose and declared with overacted surprise,
"It sure smells pretty and it's beautiful too.
That's why I picked it; here, it's for you."

The weed before me was dying or dead.
Not vibrant of colors: orange, yellow or red.
But I knew I must take it, or he might never leave.
So I reached for the flower, and replied, "Just what I need."
But instead of him placing the flower in my hand,
He held it mid-air without reason or plan.
It was then that I noticed for the first time
That weed-toting boy could not see, he was blind.

I heard my voice quiver; tears shone in the sun
As I thanked him for picking the very best one.
"You're welcome," he smiled, and then ran off to play,
Unaware of the impact he'd had on my day.
I sat there and wondered how he managed to see
A self-pitying woman beneath an old willow tree.
How did he know of my self-indulged plight?
Perhaps from his heart, he'd been blessed with true sight.

Through the eyes of a blind child, at last I could see
The problem was not with the world; the problem was me.
And for all of those times I myself had been blind,
I vowed to see the beauty in life, and appreciate every second that's mine.
And then I held that wilted flower up to my nose
And breathed in the fragrance of a beautiful rose
And smiled as I watched that young boy, another weed in hand,
About to change the life of an unsuspecting old man. 
Happiness is a Journey... 
~by Father Alfred D'Souza~
 
For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin -- real life.
But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first,
some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.
At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.
This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way.
So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 POINTS OF VIEW:

Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM  

Absolutely beautiful :)

Bing Yap April 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

thanks thom :)

Jingle April 16, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

welcome in,
I would love to have you being one of my members.
I will place your poem link in the Rally list.

Please visit and comment for 12 participants,
after you are done,
comment to let me know so that I mark you as active and ready.
;)

Bing Yap April 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

hi JINGLE... i am honored and humbled by your invitation to the rally list. i am hoping to post some old poems of mine soon. thanks for the invite.

blessings!

Eddie April 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie April 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Hi, pinky-lady…this poem is more than just nice it is awesome. I mean, I’ve been to blogs, I’ve flipped through archives of poets, but this one piece I must confess is the most not just inspirational but professionally written poem I’ve seen thus far. I most commend, your rhymes don’t just fit but have a fine blend of the story… I now know that poets are not made, they are born cuz I have gone thro this piece like 6 times now…I’m just short of words….KEEP UP WITH THE SPIRIT!!!


I have deeply emotional and heart-touching poems in my blog you’d love. Stopping by will be very nice of you. My poems I recommend you read (the clouds above me keep pouring, here lies my dying cupid, are you listening?, and heartbreak).

http://ediomoudofia.blogsopt.com/

Anonymous April 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Wonderful finds, thank you for sharing.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall May 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/thursday-poets-rally-week-17-may-6-12-2010-homecoming/

I honor you the three awards from my post, please feel free to share with your other poetry friends...
have fun!
thank you for the long time support.
cheers!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter