If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

13 October 2012

Facebook... Oh Facebook...


It was so much fun at first. Imagine, being reconnected with people you have not seen for decades! Suddenly, everyone's in one place and they are just a click away.

I blogged less and FB'd more... Heck, I got hooked and spent more time in there than necessary. I played addicting games and interacted with long-lost friends. I "liked" almost all posts that appeared on my News Feed and left comments where I agreed most. I appreciated that I didn't get to miss any of my friends' birthdays.

Never mind if there were sarcastic posts or comments... They seemed funny at that time...

Until one day, I realized that those biting posts were meant for other friends... probably in retaliation for something that happened between them or, simply, to just get nasty. The "likes" became some sort of a loyalty check- "hey, whose side are you on?"

People started forcing their own opinions down their friends' throats. R-E-S-P-E-C-T became a thing of the past. Instead of cheerful exchanges, you now see long threads of debates and arguments that are not even close to being friendly.

It was in Facebook where I got embroiled in my so-called-friends' histrionics and hysterics. People openly aired their dirty laundry... For sympathy? For "Likes"? For goading? For the "Rah! Rah! Rah! Sis Boom Bah!" cheers? You tell me!  I guess there are some people who really get a kick out of it and enjoy the attention.

Gone were the days when my News Feed fed me uplifting, funny and positive posts to start my day right. Rants, protests, opinionated/ judgmental elucidations, bashing, bullying... ahhhh, too many of them now. I must admit I myself succumbed to the temptation (of posting my negative thoughts and opinions) a number of times in the past.


And so... one day, I decided to deactivate, thus, disconnecting myself from more than 500 "friends" and a big number (I lost count) of friends requests (those I decided to ignore).

However, I am not saying I am rejecting Facebook altogether. This time though, I already know the people who matter most to me and with whom I truly want to stay connected with.

I never felt better! ;)

Now, the sun shines on...

Blessings to all of you!




Image credit: Lauren Huston


Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 POINTS OF VIEW:

Sandee October 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM  

I deactivated my account and it sat dormant for a very long time. Then one day about six months ago I deleted the account. No more facebook for me. I can so relate and I've heard this same thing over and over. Not worth it.

Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs. :)

Bing Yap October 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM  

Instead of building bridges, it destroyed friendships. Instead of strengthening friendships, it has become the source of a lot of miscommunication and misinterpretation. Oh... one more thing... I got to give out legal opinions and services free of charge via private messages. Lol!

Enjoy your weekend Sandee! xoxo

BorneoAngler October 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM  

I deactivate my 'monster' FB account with 5000 plus(yes,it is!) 'friends' in August,and life feels much better after that.I blog more now..like i was in 2009.Feel free to visit and follow our blog at http://www.kakinginti.rumahpanjai.com.
Cheers!!!

Bing Yap October 15, 2012 at 6:58 AM  

wow, 5,000 friends!!! and i complained at 500... Lol!

it is truly a liberating experience to deactivate FB. :)

thanks for visiting, anglers belong. xoxo

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter