If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

14 December 2008

The Twilight Experience


I must admit I had no expectation at all when I agreed to watch this movie with my girls. I did not even have any idea at all what it was all about except that it was a teen love story. I have seen the posters but never bothered to read the details. Nobody warned me there are vampires in this movie!

But the girls were adamant and so, along with Jazzy's bestfriend Ingrid, the girls went to watch with me acting as their chaperone. We arrived at the movie house just in time for the next screening. Imagine my surprise when I saw that most of the people coming out were teenagers and pre-teeners with no parents in tow. I felt out of place right away.

Jazzy and Ingrid saw some of their classmates there. 9-year-old Jamie and I simply shrugged our shoulders as we followed the two excited teeners find a seat for all of us. I paid for balcony seats but ended up somewhere between the third and fourth rows of the orchestra.

When the Cullens first appeared on screen (just silhouettes as they passed by outside the window of the school's mess hall), the cinema was filled with long and loud shrieks from the audience. Jamie covered her ears as she looked at me and I could only give her a bewildered smile. At least I wasn't alone in my confusion.

And then Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) appeared... camera slowly zoomed in on his pallid face and the shrieks became much louder and longer. This time though, I caught myself and Jamie joining in. Jamie did not even realize that she was already pinching my arm. Lol. So this was what the frenzy was all about.

It was reminiscent of Christopher Reeve's first appearance on screen as Clark Kent/Superman. Or is that an antiquated comparison?

And did I tell you why Laurence was not with us when we watched this movie? Well, he was in another cinema with his classmates and buddies watching the same movie.

I have 2 teens in the house. That would be 3 soon. Help!




Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 POINTS OF VIEW:

KAT December 15, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

I have to tell you, the book is "SO" much better than the movie!!

I just wrote about it on my blog: http://candlesandcrafts.blogspot.com and I still can't believe it myself.

I saw the movie after I read the first book, and the movie doesn't come close. I know the teens are wrapped up in Edward the movie star, but if you read the book, you will like him so much more!

Take care,
Kat

Bing Yap December 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

I will take your advice and buy the book. Jazzy has been begging me to buy anyway. I read your review of the book and now I just want to grab a copy each of the entire series. Twilight has given the word "vampire" an entirely new meaning.

Thank you for the comment, Kat.

Bing;)

KAT December 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Thank you for your comments, and I have to tell you that you better have #2 ready when you or your daughters finish book #1 or you will be desperate!

Are you going to read them too? If so, when you are finished with the first one, let me know, and I have something I know you will want to read. :)

Take care, and happy reading to you all!
Kat

Bing Yap December 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM  

Now I can't wait... Maybe I should get a copy for each one of us here so I don't have to wait for them to finish reading.

Mara December 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

I agree. The book is waaaaay better than the movie. I read it for about 10 hours, 3pm-6am with 2 hours break straight.

Regarding your post, although technically I don't fall under the teens category anymore I could've shrieked along with the much younger audiences in the movie house, good thing I watched the movie alone so I controlled myself. :))

PhilJ December 20, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

I have no business being here Bing. I live alone in a 400 year old house where power cuts are common.

First resident in 150 years as well and let me tell you, old houses are not quiet places. There are creaks and bumps from all quarters. Thankfully Ive got used to them now but occasionally there is one I dont recognise.

So Im saying nothing OK? lol

Vampires? lol. BTW I keep a lot a garlic because i like to cook with it. I dont see why I cant hang the stuff on the bedposts.

Bing Yap December 22, 2008 at 11:48 PM  

I must admit I still haven't got a copy of the book. I want to buy the entire series but it's out of stock here right now. :(

~~~

Phil, thank you for visiting my blog. FINALLY you have downloaded firefox! hehehe! I really appreciate that. Again, thank you so much.

Bing ;)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter