If God brought you to it,
He will get you through it.

06 March 2009

Keep on Dancing... The Music Plays On

"I gotta keep dancin'... smilin'...
to keep from breakin' apart...

I gotta keep dancin'... smilin'...
to cover up my broken heart..."

-I Gotta Keep Dancing by Carrie Lucas (1977)-


I dance. I dance when I'm happy. I dance when I'm sad. And I dance like crazy. I don't care if you like it. I dance only for myself. The heavier I feel, the crazier I get. And it makes me feel so good.

Here in the comforts of my home, I dance alone. My kids are used to it now and it always leaves a smile on their faces. They grew up watching me dance. They have even memorized the lyrics of my favorite tune- the Dancing Queen (Abba)- like a national anthem of sorts. :D

Give me an upbeat tune and you'll see me swaying to the beat- be it disco, trance, house, hiphop or whatever.

I was home alone tonight. So I danced and it felt soooooooooooo good. Do these songs sound familiar to you- Dancing Queen by Abba, I Gotta Keep Dancing by Carrie Lucas, Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You by Teri de Sario, I Love The Nightlife by Alicia Bridges, Last Dance by Donna Summer, Souvenirs by Voyage, It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls, Rhythm of the Night by El Debarge, A Night to Remember by Shalamar, Breakout by the Swing Out Sisters? Oh yes, they are all in my playlist... and more. All disco hits of the 70's and the 80's.

In those darkest moments of my life, I danced like there was no tomorrow. As each wave of pain or anxiety hit me, I bumped it off with every sway of my hips and swing of my hands. Eyes closed, feeling every rhythm, tears flowing down my face. I didn't care at all.

Now I understand why James bought me my boom box. He knew me too well. He even used it to his advantage several times. He knew I could not resist my music. Good old disco.

Now I feel like dancing again :D In the meantime, keep on smiling...




Blessings to all,






Image source: Dance Therapie from http://www.dance-therapie.ch
* Found with

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 POINTS OF VIEW:

Angela March 7, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

This post made me smile. I love ALL of the songs that you mentioned. I love to dance too. I need to do more of it:) Have a great weekend!

Mariuca March 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Hi Bing! Why not join us at Music Monday? That way you can dance the day and night away with a whole bunch of us every Monday! ;)

Janet Gardner March 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

Hi Bing,
I love this post, Dance like no one is watching and even if they are so what!! A great way to shake of grief and anxiety, I think I will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing this,
Janet :)

KAT March 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Dance away girl!! Dance like there is no tomorrow, and just enjoy!!

Bing Yap March 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

ANGEL, it's really therapeutic. It brings out all those endorphins and leaves you smiling. Have a great weekend too!

Much Love!

Bing Yap March 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

MARZIE, i might do that. thanks for inviting me.

Blessings!

Bing Yap March 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

JANET, I go into a meditative-like state whenever I dance. It really helps! I hear every beat and rhythm when I close my eyes.

You should try it.

Have a great weekend!

Blessings to you!

Bing Yap March 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

KAT, it feels sooooooo good. I'm having so much fun.

Much Love and Blessings!

Anonymous March 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

It IS therapeutic. Moving to a rhythm really helps relieving your stress.
I got the same thing with walking. Or you could call it 'marching'. Especially on music with a beat like Dr. Alban's music. When upset or angry I start marching or thumping and after a while it becomes a walk and I feel better.

Bing Yap March 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

HI SUZANNE, you are so right. next to dancing, walking (with very loud music playing in my ears) is another therapy for me which i discovered only last year and has not done religiously. dancing is still on top of my list. a passion actually and it's not even the choreographed style.

Thank you for dropping by and for leaving a comment.

Anonymous March 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Your blog is such an inspiration! Please accept my award for you: http://www.soulfulscribbles.com/?p=686. :)

Bing Yap March 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

FLO, thank you so much. Your award is beautiful.

Blessings,

Bing (",)

Gina Alfani March 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Hey Bing . . . I do the same thing!! Music is the rhythm of life and I use dance music and dancing as therapy when I am not feeling so great.

Thanks for reminding me . . . I'm off to listen to some dance music.

Check out my music playlists . . . you will love all of the dance music I have uploaded!

http://www.imeem.com/labelladiva

Take care . . . Gina

Bing Yap March 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

GINA, i love your playlist! but one song there is an old favorite of mine- "Dangerous" by Roxette. Thanks you so much.

we're treading the same path. please keep on dancing to put you back on track whenever that anxiety or melancholic attack hits you.

GOD BLESS YOU!

Karl March 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

I was reading this at silly o'clock in the morning!
It really inspired me jsut to grab life by the balls and enjoy every minute!
If I ever feel sad I pick a song from that playlist you mentioned and I jsut rock out to it, blasting the music and not caring about anything else!
Thank you for inspiring me :)

Bing Yap March 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

CEVAT, music keeps me alive. I may dance like crazy and I don't care because it keeps me going. I'm sure this coping tool will be able to help many others.

Keep blogging!

Suedonim16 March 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM  

Ms. Bing, This is a very belated comment, I know. But I just went through your posts again and although I read this before, I was not able to comment. So now, I want to say that though I was never into dancing (too bad, I have two left feet, hehe), I really love "Dancing Queen". Even if I don't dance at all, I find myself wanting to sway with the music of this song whenever I hear it.
Also, I find the picture of you dancing in front of your children so so sweeeeeeeeet.. that says a lot about you as a mom and a person. =)

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Photobucket
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections.


"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward to the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage and confidence." ~ Og Mandino


If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything.
CANDLE Pictures, Images and Photos
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-14
Photobucket
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP  

Site Meter